Traditional braces consist of brackets, wires, and elastic bands. The brackets are first attached to the teeth. They are then joined together by using a thin metal wire. This metal wire holds the teeth in place by using elastic bands. Gradually, the wire will apply pressure on the teeth with the help of these brackets and help shift the set of teeth to its correct position.
Self-ligating braces are the next level of traditional braces. They are just the same as traditional braces, however, instead of elastic bands, self-ligating braces use sliding clips to hold the wire in place. They are an aesthetic alternative to traditional braces.
Self-ligating braces can either come with metal, ceramic or clear brackets. They have the same size and appearance of traditional braces.
What do Self-ligating braces provide?
Self-ligating braces will provide the patients with a safe and effective way to correct their tooth without much pain. They will help you achieve properly aligned teeth with more comfort during the period of treatment.
Here is what self-ligating braces can provide:
- Self-ligating braces are durable. The brackets they use come in metal, ceramic or even of translucent material.
- They come with smooth and comfortable edges. Hence, this will provide less friction and pain during the course of treatment.
- They will provide effective means to maintain oral hygiene.
- Self-ligating braces will not attract plague and trap food particles.
- Efficient movement of the jawbone.
- They are designed to be more inconspicuous than traditional braces.
- Self-ligating braces come with smaller brackets.
- Patients will be able to provide their color preferences for the brackets in use.
What are the advantages of Self-ligating Braces?
- The use of sliding clips on the brackets certainly reduces a great amount of pressure on the tooth that is otherwise experienced while the braces are worn with elastic bands.
- As your teeth straighten with time, your metal wire will need to be changed periodically. The use of sliding clips can make the task of changing the wire much easier and hence allowing shorter appointments.
- Cleansing your teeth while wearing braces can be a challenge. This is because there is a greater chance for morsels to collect itself within the sides of the brackets as we use braces with elastic bands. With them gone, it will be a lot simpler to keep your teeth clean while wearing self-ligating braces.
- Some patients have the false idea that the more force you apply to your teeth, the quicker they will adjust themselves into place. Self-ligating braces allow the exact pace with which your teeth must move. They will also create less friction allowing the patients to use only a mild amount of force to move their jaw.
- Extractions are generally required by patients with crowded teeth in order to create room for more space while wearing braces. However, self-ligating braces help to avoid fewer extractions. This is because these braces slowly widen the arch of your smile to create extra space.